Iowa City VA Health Care System
Help Limit the Spread of COVID-19
The Iowa City VA Health Care System offers comprehensive COVID-19 screening and treatment services. When it comes to testing, we are taking samples on-site and getting them processed by the Iowa State Hygienic Lab.
The facility is equipped with essential items and supplies to handle an influx of coronavirus cases and is following CDC and Iowa Department of Health (IDPH) guidelines for testing and reporting.
To minimize risk for employees and Veterans, everyone who enters the Iowa City VA campus will be pre-screened. This may lengthen entry times, so patients are advised to allow for that when arriving for their appointments.
The screening consists of three questions:
- Do you have a fever or worsening cough or shortness of breath or flu-like symptoms?
- Have you or a close contact traveled to an area with widespread or sustained community transmission of COVID-19 within 14 days of symptom onset?
- Have you been in close contact with someone, including health care workers, confirmed to have COVID-19?
Per CDC guidance and VA protocols, individuals known to be at risk for a COVID-19 infection are immediately isolated to prevent potential spread to others.
Veterans and staff are encouraged to take everyday preventive actions to avoid being exposed to the virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you are sick or becoming sick.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- If you have symptoms or have been exposed to someone with symptoms, call the VA before going to the facility.
Veterans who are concerned they may have symptoms of COVID-19, flu or cold should contact us at 319-338-0581 before coming to their appointment. Clinical staff are available to provide 24/7 virtual care and support, including nurse advice and triage. This service is available at no cost to Veterans enrolled for VA health care.
Iowa City VA is examining all areas of care to determine what services should be limited and/or rescheduled as the situation develops. We have not cancelled or rescheduled patient procedures to date, and patients should contact their VA care team if they have questions about their appointments or care.
Additionally, information about the safeguards put in place to protect nursing home and spinal cord injury patients is here: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5400
More information for Veterans is here: https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/72615/vas-recommendations-help-slow-covid-19-virus/
As always, thank you for entrusting Iowa City VA Health Care System with your healthcare needs.